• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artificer Prestige Class - Please Critique

BlackStar

First Post
Okay... this has been a hard prestige class to eek out... so I'd appreciate any comments and criticisms. If its not balanced, let me know... Essentially this class is about playing with constructs.. I think its an interesting aspect of the game that is often overlooked mainly because the examples given are such monsterously powerful things. Most of the things they can create are going to have stats appearing much more like "animated objects" in the MM. He uses both magic and mechanics to make these work, that added with Phantom Legs allows him to work on the go. But I wanted to make constructs something the PCs could do without disrupting the game, and hopefully I've acheived it. Thanks a lot!

Artificer
Description: Artificers are the premier item creators in Tara. And though many supplement their income with magic armor and weapons production, their true love and skill is in constructs.
Artificers specialize in mechanical creatures and gizmos, many only to help them create more. Gnomes wizards are naturally drawn to this class but so are many dwarven wizards.
HD: d4

Saves:
Ref: Bad
Fort: bad
Will: good

Spells per day: +1 spell level at levels (2,3,5,6,8,9)

Requirements
Feats: Craft Magic Armor and Weapons, Craft Wonderous Item
Craft (metalwork): 10
Knowledge (Arcana): 10
Profession: (Engineer): 5

Class Skills
Appraise, Concentration, Craft, Profession, Disable Device, Knowledge (Engineering), Knowledge (Arcane), Spellcraft, Alchemy

Skills Points at Each Level: 4+ Int Modifier
Class Features

1 Animate Object 1st Construct Domain
(Tiny)
2 Object Permanency
3 Small Construct (1st)
4 Phantom Legs spell
5 Medium Construct (1st) Tiny (2nd
Domain)
6 Professional
7 Large Construct (1st), Small (2nd)
8 Spell Imbue
9 Huge Construct (1st), Medium (2nd)
10 Awaken

Animate Object: The Artificer gains the spell Animate Object that he can cast 1/day per level of Artificer. Animated objects must be mechanical devices. He cannot control animated objects with more collective HD than he has.

Construct Domains: The Artificer specializes his craft into particular types of constructs and this limits the types he can build.
Animal
Humanoid
Monster
Devices (Odd weapons, machines, grafts)
Artificers special abilities only work on things of his domain (Such as professional)

Tiny Construct: The Artificer can create a tiny construct but must work at least 4 hours (2 must be stationary, the other 2 can be while traveling or walking but requires at least 6 hours then.) So an Artificer working on a tiny construct would have to work two hours on it during the morning and then another six hours while he is traveling.

Object Permanency: The Artificer can cast permanency on any construct he has animated with Animate Object.

Small Construct: The artificer can create small constructs, taking 8 (4/12) hours.
Phantom Legs: The artificer can cast Phantom Legs at will on any construct he has created.

Medium Construct: The Artificer can create Medium constructs, taking 16 (8/24) hours.

Professional: A Artificer becomes so accustomed to creating and proficient that he can now create any magic items or constructs at half their gold production and XP cost.

Large Construct: An artificer can create large constructs in 32 (16/48) hours.

Spell Imbue: The Artificer can imbue his creations with spell abilities such as haste, etc, permanently.

Awaken: Like the Druid spell except it works on constructs. It is can be cast once a day and costs 200 xp.

Phantom Legs spell
Basically this gives an object the artificer is working on "phantom legs" allowing it to float along behind the artificer as he travels. Ive not detailed it too much more than that, but thats really the essentials of it.

mikebr99

Explorer
Hey...

I am thinking that the skills should be scaled back to 2/ lvl... seems like a class that would be too busy making stuff to study other things.

Maybe also drop concentration out of class skills... this is for combat casters, which this PrC isn't.

I'd also add a bunch more craft skills, at maybe lesser ranks.

Have you seen the Gnome Artificer in "Magic of Faerun"? It can also be taken by humans (natives of Lantan).

Remove ads