• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Mark in combat

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Can I cast Arcane Mark on an enemy in combat? My impulse would be to treat it as a normal touch spell, but the range is listed as "0 ft", not "Touch", and I'm wondering whether that makes a difference.

The spell may not do damage or hamper the enemy, but it'd be a very in-character thing for my sorcerer to cast. He's getting annoyed at a recurring villain, who has survived a long time because of high SR. My damage spells may keep fizzling against her, but at least I can write the work DORK across her forehead. ;)

Negative Zero

First Post
AuraSeer said:
Can I cast Arcane Mark on an enemy in combat? ... at least I can write the work DORK across her forehead. ;)

LMAO
if i were your DM, i'd let you do that, just for the sheer novelty of it! oh and, yeah, i imagine it'd be a touch attack.

~NegZ

kreynolds

First Post
AuraSeer said:
My damage spells may keep fizzling against her, but at least I can write the work DORK across her forehead. ;)

LOL :D Man, with creativity like that, yeah, I'd let you do it with a grapple or something (a grapple will get you into her space, which is how close you need to be for the spell).

Thanee

First Post
Hehehe

I use Arcane Mark currently to mark my fellow party members, because we had a problem with some Doppelgangers lately and this is a good way to identify them secretly. :)

Bye
Thanee

hong

WotC's bitch
AuraSeer said:
The spell may not do damage or hamper the enemy, but it'd be a very in-character thing for my sorcerer to cast. He's getting annoyed at a recurring villain, who has survived a long time because of high SR. My damage spells may keep fizzling against her, but at least I can write the work DORK across her forehead. ;)

Note that arcane mark lets you inscribe "your personal rune or mark" on the target, not just any arbitrary mark. It's sorta like leaving a signature. If you're really saying that your sorcerer's signature is "DORK", I'd say sure, go right ahead. In fact, I might even give you a big fat bonus to hit. ;)

Wolf72

Explorer
this has mage college frat/sorority initiation written all over it ...

"you must place your mark on an xxxxxx, and not get killed in the attempt ..."

kreynolds

First Post
Wolf72 said:

Yeah! And...like...don't forget to bring back pictures of those hot little succubi in the locker room, dude!" :D

Velenne

Explorer
Wolf72 said:
this has mage college frat/sorority initiation written all over it ...

LMAO!!!!!!!

There's one of those things you never think about. A Mage Acadamy...where most of the students are teenagers.....that's just bad...the Enchanter frats where the guys are sooooo charming....

Remove ads