AoO - A little help please

A2Z

Explorer
Specifically I'm trying to figure out if you can get an attack of oportunity with a ranged weapon. I'm thinking that you can't. The rules say you threaten an area 5' around you. They also seem to indicate that only melee weapons qualify for an AoO. Is this the case or am I reading something wrong?

kreynolds

First Post
A2Z said:
Specifically I'm trying to figure out if you can get an attack of oportunity with a ranged weapon.

Nope.

A2Z said:
I'm thinking that you can't.

You're right.

A2Z said:
The rules say you threaten an area 5' around you.

Only melee weapons.

A2Z said:
They also seem to indicate that only melee weapons qualify for an AoO.

Not exactly. You only qualify for an AoO if you threaten an area. You can't threaten an area with a ranged weapon, thus you don't get AoO with them.

A2Z said:
Is this the case or am I reading something wrong?

Nope. You basically got it. :)

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
A2Z said:
Specifically I'm trying to figure out if you can get an attack of oportunity with a ranged weapon. I'm thinking that you can't. The rules say you threaten an area 5' around you. They also seem to indicate that only melee weapons qualify for an AoO. Is this the case or am I reading something wrong?
Correct, no AoO with a ranged weapon. You can only make an AoO into an area that you threaten, and you don't threaten an area with a ranged weapon.

Alica Vandaark

First Post
I am a lil confused....

In the core rules it is said that an opponent receives an AoO if you enter or leave an threatened area. At the end of the phb is a yellow colored summary page where it says and explained it with examples and pictures the an AoO is only granted when the opponent leaves the threatened area.

Ok and just right out of my mind: Are there two chances for an AoO? The first when the opponent enters and the second when the op. leaves the threatened area?

thx for listening

pontus

First Post
Re: I am a lil confused....

Not enter! Never enter! You can provoke an AOO by moving through or out of a threatened area, but never by entering one.

Last edited:

Remove ads