• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alernative Spell Learning Rules

Hey folks,

Like many of you, I took issue with the rules for wizards learning spells from spellbooks, and came up with my own house rules. I figured I'd share them in case anyone finds them useful. There are some important effects of this alternative on game balance aspects. These are intentional given the way I run my campaign (relatively low-magic, low-cash), but they may not be apppropriate for yours. These rules:

• emphasize the role of research and experimentation using a foreign spellbook as a guide, over that of scribing from it. The bulk of time, money, and risk of failure lie in learning, i.e. fathoming spells, rather than copying them down.
  • lower the cost of low-level spell learning dramatically, but increase the cost of high-level spell learning likewise. The crossover point where this system goes from cheaper to more expensive is between 4th and 5th level spells.
  • increase the amount of time needed for spell learning
  • separate research and scribing, with the time and cost associated with the latter only coming into play if the former is successful
  • do not allow Take-10 on spell learning, and increase the DC steeply with spell level, making the Spellcraft skill more important.
  • incorporate circumstance modifiers for learning Spellcraft checks
  • potentially make it take longer to prepare spells from a foreign spellbook
  • provide what I consider a more elegant way of handling copying/replacing spellbooks
  • allow for collaboration that works like a two-way Aid Another action
Here you go:

DECIPHERING SPELLS FROM FOREIGN SPELLBOOKS

Prerequisites: Spellbook
Time: 1 minute per spell level (5 rounds for a level-0 spell)
Spellcraft check: DC 20 + spell level; may Take-10; automatic success with read magic or if owner of spellbook is on hand to help
Success: No need to decipher this particular script again; identifies and gives general idea of spell's effects; if a previously learned spell, can be used to attempt preparation; if a new spell, can be used to learn
Retry: Allowed once per day

PREPARING SPELLS FROM FOREIGN SPELLBOOKS

Prerequisites: Deciphered spell that previously has been learned, minimum caster level to cast spell
Time: 10 minutes per spell level (5 minutes for a level-0 spell; total preparation time still takes at least the normal 15 minutes per 25% spells prepared)
Spellcraft check: DC 15 + spell level; may Take-10
Success: Can cast normally, but must repeat check every time spell is prepared from borrowed spellbook
Retry: Allowed once per day

LEARNING SPELLS FROM FOREIGN SPELLBOOKS

Prerequisites: Deciphered spell, minimum caster level to cast spell
Time: 2 days per spell level (1 day for a level-0 spell)
Cost: By spell level
  • 0: 12gp
  • 1: 25gp
  • 2: 150gp
  • 3: 375gp
  • 4: 700gp
  • 5: 1125gp
  • 6: 1650gp
  • 7: 2275gp
  • 8: 3000gp
  • 9: 3825gp
Spellcraft check: DC 15 + (2 * spell level), no Take-10 allowed; stackable circumstance modifiers:
  • +2 for access to a library with suitable spell-relevant material
  • +2 if a colleague working together on the same spell beats a DC 10 (regardless of success)
    OR a wizard who knows the spell tutors you during 1/2 the time you spend researching
    (Note that the colleague and tutor bonuses do NOT stack with each other)
  • +2 for spending twice the time (i.e. 4 days per spell level)
  • -1 per day of interruption
Success: Spell learned, prepared, and ready to scribe
Retry: Allowed when another rank in Spellcraft is gained

SCRIBING SPELLS

Prerequisites: Prepared spell, materials (spellbook, inks, etc).
Time: 1 day + 1 day per spell level (1 day for level-0 spells); 1/2 time if transcribing from own spellbook
Cost: 10 gp per spell level (5 gp for a level-0 spell)

Notes: 1) A spell may only be prepared from a foreign spellbook if it previously has been learned. 2) A lost spellbook may be reconstructed by scribing prepared spells. These spells may have been prepared before the loss, or may be prepared using a foreign spellbook. 3) With each new level gained, a wizard is assumed to have learned 2 new spells of any level he can cast. These require no time, cost, or check for learning, but DO require the time and cost for scribing. Spell choice is subject to DM approval and will generally be restricted to spells that are very common and/or that the wizard has previously researched or had exposure to (e.g. in a library or by conferring with another wizard who knows the spell).

Jerrid Al-Kundo

First Post
Just to toss this in; Mages in my world keep their own libraries, with an estimated value measured in Gold Pieces.

For learning a spell found in the manner of a Spell Book, the system I use is:

(Value of Library-(Spell x750 gp))/1000 = modifier for Learning Success.

Example: 10,000 gp Library, 5th Level Spell

10,000-(5x750)=10,000-3,750=6,250

6,250/1000=+6 modifier

Remove ads