Complexity of an Attack: examples?

Nathal

Explorer
I have a request:

Might somebody throw together an example of just how complex a single attack in D&D can be (whether by melee or magic)? I know the basic mechanic is simple, but I'd like to see somebody illustrate how the layers upon layers of modifiers and optional rules can complicate a single strike (and no, I'm not implying that complexity in of itself is a bad thing). I don't play D&D anymore, having moved on to other systems, but I remember how complex 3E could get, and I'm looking for a good example.

Last edited:

ashockney

First Post
Complexity of High Level D&D

Reference:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=93424&page=1&pp=40

Here's a great example from Origins: A fighter/rogue with Expert Tactician, 4d6 sneak attack, a holy weapon, and Greater Invisibility, (Mass) Haste, and had drunk a potion of Bull's Strength. Wielding a keen falchion with improved crit. Now, her bonuses to hit were pre-calc'd with bull's str, but not the +1 from haste (from party), or the +2 from fighting invis, or the +2 if she could get flanking. The attack routine could be anywhere from one - four depending upon movement, haste, and expert tactician. If she hit, she has a 45% chance of threatening. For each hit, she deals 2d4+8 damage per swing +4d6 sneak +2d6 holy (what multiplies)? At the end of this little routine, the cleric reminded them that they just cast prayer for another +1 to hit and damage to each roll. (Rolling to hit required up to 8 rolls with up to six modifiers, and damage required rolling and adding up 8 dice per attack times 4 attacks + with up to seven modifiers per attack).

Faerl'Elghinn

First Post
Feats like Arcane Strike and Power Attack, class abilities such as maneuvers, Smite Evil, and Sneak Attack, and spells like Tenser's Transformation, Bull's Strength, Invisibility, Displacement, and Blink can all increase the complexity of attack resolution. It's conceiveable that a Wizard/Warblade/Rogue/Paladin could be under the effects of Blink, Polymorph, and Tenser's Transformation could execute an Emerald Razor combined with a martial strike while in a punishing stance, Power Attack for some number, Smite Evil, and sacrifice a spell slot for an Arcane Strike against a flanked and invisible or displaced opponent.

This would incur two miss chances, (20% for Blink, 50% for Displacement), several (7-8?) deviations from the character's normal attack bonus as well as the use of the target's touch AC instead of its normal AC, Smite damage, Arcane Strike damage, 1d6 for Punishing Stance, presumably more damage from the martial strike, Sneak Attack damage, plus some number probably vastly divergent from the character's normal damage bonus (all assuming the attack hits and bypasses both miss chances).

...And that's not even counting stuff like what the above poster mentions (energy damage, holy damage, perhaps favored enemy damage, Bless, Prayer, Recitation, Divine Power, etc.)

Last edited:

Particle_Man

Explorer
Add "enlarge person" to change your character's AC (because of size change), Damage (because of str change) and weapon base damage (1d8 becomes 2d6, for example). Luckily, the str bonus (adding to "to hit" and "to hit" size penalty cancel out when going from medium to large).

If the attacker has been de-buffed (due to strength drain or gaining negative levels) that would affect the attack roll as well. (Or the attacker might be using weapon finesse in which case it is dex buffing and drain that would be the important factors for hitting the opponent, though str affect damage).

The defender might have "protection from (attacker's alignment)" for an AC bonus, plus other defensive buffs. The defender might also have DR, which would subtract from attacker's damage unless the attacker can pierce that particular DR.

Has either the attacker or defender charged? That affects the attack roll and AC.

Is the attacker using divine power or diving might to buff himself? Did someone cast Greater Magic Weapon on his primary weapon? Was it already magical? Does the defender have barkskin or stoneskin on? There are a ton of magic items and spells that can affect stats numerically, and some stack and some do not.

Bryan898

First Post
Let's take a level 8 paladin about to charge and smite an enemy. You've cast divine sacrifice (complete divine, and have sacrificed 10 hp), have bless cast on you, and have used your divine might feat (complete warrior). You're also going to power attack with a two-handed weapon at -4.

Adding up your attack roll would look something like this: +8 bab - 4 power attack + 4 strength + 1 weapon focus + 1 bless + 2 charging + 4 smite evil + 2 magical weapon = +18.

Your damage like so= 2d6 base greatsword + 5d6 divine sacrifice + 6 1 1/2 str + 8 smite evil + 4 divine might + 2 magical weapon +8 power attack (x2 subtracted bonus) = 2d6+28 plus 5d6.

And don't forget your AC drops by -2 for charging.

The Grackle

First Post
my retired 1/2 orc skirmisher: Pantagruel the Tinsmith

BAB
+6/+1 attack
18 STR
+4 attack, +4 damage (+6 Two Handed)
+1 Adamantium Long Axe
+1 attack, +1damage, 1d10
requires Power Attack of 3 or more for use as a reach weapon
used TH = STR bonus to damage x1.5
Rage
+4 to Str&Con, -2 Armor Class
= +2 hit, +2 damage (+3 Two Handed)
2H Power attack
Set at 4 standard, but change as needed.
-4 attack, +8 damage
Charging
+2 attack, -2 armor class
Leap Attack
+100% (the hell?) the normal damage from PA
+8 damage?+16 damage? (we went w/+8 iirc)
Skirmish
requires 10" of movement
must be at least 10" from starting point
+1 AC, +1d6 skirmish damage

and THEN come the BUFFS...

I replaced him with a whirlwind attacker (APAATT!) so I wouldn't have to add up so much crap every round. Full BAB attack to everyone in reach. Easy (-er).

James McMurray

First Post
Don't forget to have the defender cast Deflect as an immediate action while they already have Shield of Faith active, forcing you to determine which deflection bonus is higher.

Also, an nearby ally should use the shield block maneuver as an immediate action to give more AC to the defender.

Particle_Man

Explorer
If you are within a Dragon Shaman's aura, you might well do more damage, depending on the aura. Thus your position in combat becomes important to this attack.

Nathal

Explorer
Ashockney, Faerl'Elghinn, and Bryan898:

Great examples. I would like permission to quote you, incorporating your examples for the purpose of a short article I'm writing for Silven Publishing. If you don't mind let me know at nathal@gmail.com.

Remove ads