• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enlarge Person and Reach Weapons

Waite

First Post
Hi Everyone. Two quick questions for you all. I'm trying to figure out reach with a reach weapon (i.e. spiked chain) while under the influence of Enlarge person. I believe it essentially doubles weapon sizes but I am not sure it does those or just increases 5'

I checked the spell, and all it really says about weapon sizing is that "All equipment worn or carried by a creature is similarly enlarged by the spell." Taking that at face value, it implies that weapon size is doubled. I couldn't find anything in the text of the DMG about it, but p.308, which shows the various reach templates, shows reach for a large sized creature holding a reach weapon to be 20'.

Also, can an Enlarged character (12' high) attack over/around medium sized allies?

Thanks so much.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Waite said:
I checked the spell, and all it really says about weapon sizing is that "All equipment worn or carried by a creature is similarly enlarged by the spell." Taking that at face value, it implies that weapon size is doubled. I couldn't find anything in the text of the DMG about it, but p.308, which shows the various reach templates, shows reach for a large sized creature holding a reach weapon to be 20'.
The spell says, "A humanoid creature whose size increases to Large has a space of 10 feet and a natural reach of 10 feet." Additionally, "Most reach weapons double the wielder’s natural reach..." and "A typical Large character wielding a reach weapon of the appropriate size can attack a creature 15 or 20 feet away, but not adjacent creatures or creatures up to 10 feet away." Reading the entry on spiked chain, "A spiked chain has reach, so you can strike opponents 10 feet away with it. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe."

This means that you can use the spiked chain (while Large) at distances of 15ft and 20ft (as normal for reach weapons with a reach of 10ft) and vs. an adjacent foe, which is 5ft. The strange part is that you technically cannot use it against a foe at 10ft, but most people will (house) rule that you can (attributing it to poor wording, or just a lack of clarification for creatures with reach).

Waite said:
Also, can an Enlarged character (12' high) attack over/around medium sized allies?
Sure, but the ally may provide soft cover to the opponent, depending on how the DM rules it.

frankthedm

First Post
You've found one of the stronger features of the enlarge spell. Unless the DM uses the cramped conditions out of the DMG2, or simply limits where you can take the now 16' to 20' polearm, the enlarged combatant with a reach weapon really dominates.

longspearfa4.gif

...Since a Huge benefit of reach is that a foe has to threaten you to take an AoO on you.

With a reach weapon, You can sunder and disarm without worry of AoO if you foe does not have equal reach. Such as the glaive weilder below could do to the samurai

If you are using natural reach, you can trip, unarmed strike, and attempt to start a grapple without drawing an AoO if the foe does not have equal reach. The marilith below could choose to do these to the unfotunate samurai without giving him a chance to take an AoO.

reachisgoodow3.gif

There are no rules granting the foe the chance to strike you or your weapon as you take advantage of your reach. I would not blame any DM who said the defender could do so, since you are sticking you or your weapon in harm's way.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
mvincent said:
Yes, but they would count as low, soft cover. For low cover "the attacker can ignore the cover if he’s closer to the obstacle than his target."
You are leaving off important parts.

Low Obstacles and Cover
A low obstacle (such as a wall no higher than half your height) provides cover, but only to creatures within 30 feet (6 squares) of it. The attacker can ignore the cover if he’s closer to the obstacle than his target.

If creatures count as "obstacles" then the Enlarged spear weilder can strike at the medium Long Spear Lance without the wizards granting Lance any cover.

lowcoverbw5.gif

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
frankthedm said:
You've found one of the stronger features of the enlarge spell. Unless the DM uses the cramped conditions out of the DMG2, or simply limits where you can take the now 16' to 20' polearm, the enlarged combatant with a reach weapon really dominates.

longspearfa4.gif

...Since a Huge benefit of reach is that a foe has to threaten you to take an AoO on you.

With a reach weapon, You can sunder and disarm without worry of AoO if you foe does not have equal reach. Such as the glaive weilder below could do to the samurai

If you are using natural reach, you can trip, unarmed strike, and attempt to start a grapple without drawing an AoO if the foe does not have equal reach. The marilith below could choose to do these to the unfotunate samurai without giving him a chance to take an AoO.

reachisgoodow3.gif

There are no rules granting the foe the chance to strike you or your weapon as you take advantage of your reach. I would not blame any DM who said the defender could do so, since you are sticking you or your weapon in harm's way.

Hey, i know this is off topic, but what AWESOME program are you using to make these battlegrids? This would be really cool for running a play by post game!

frankthedm

First Post
epochrpg said:
Hey, i know this is off topic, but what AWESOME program are you using to make these battlegrids? This would be really cool for running a play by post game!
Microsoft Paint with a .gif grid and video game sprites copied and pasted.

Remove ads