• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The ENWorld Electric Bard Gear (Etc) Thread

Jahydin

Hero
Well, my first gear purchase of 2024 has been made. I ordered a Catalinbread Soft Focus reverb pedal last night from a shop on Reverb.com.
With so many great reverb pedals on the market, what about this one jumped out at you?

It sounds absolutely fantastic btw and don't want my comment to come off as "sounds just as good as any other reverb". Insight into why guitar players choose the gear they do interests me!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
With so many great reverb pedals on the market, what about this one jumped out at you?

It sounds absolutely fantastic btw and don't want my comment to come off as "sounds just as good as any other reverb". Insight into why guitar players choose the gear they do interests me!
I have several very good reverbs. But this one is based on a particular patch from a particular piece of gear which essentially defined a genre. A genre I really enjoy.

Now, I can probably get the same sound by fiddling with the settings on certain other pedals I own, but with this, I don’t have to. That means I can leave those pedals on settings I already like.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Too cool. Totally understand.

I'm curious about what gear and what genre now though! Shoegaze? Just getting into that...
There’s basically 2 different but related branches of shoegaze.

There’s the stuff that’s ambient, chill-out vibe that’s all about setting an ethereal mood. That’s bands like Slowdive and Cocteau Twins.

Then there’s the bands whose guitarists took the same pedalboards and added overdrive, distortion and fuzz, turning dreamy textures into an edginess that occasionally borders on nightmares. That’s Lush, My Bloody Valentine, Curve, and Jesus & Mary Chain, to name a few.

As a genre, it was biggest in the late 80s and through most of the 90s, and then kind of fizzled.

BUT…it’s experiencing a renaissance.

Slowdrive is making a strong comeback after 30 years. The lead singer/guitarist for Lush has a new band Piroskhka, which- while strictly speaking isn’t shoegaze- has some elements that are similar.

And Softcult (amongst other new bands) are taking the genre for a spin as well.

Remove ads