• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Long time players and 5e’s success

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Are old farts still important for introducing kids to the game? I got my son into it and he got several of his friends to try it (in part because they had a parent who had played back in the day).

Back in 1981 I got the game because I saw it on the back of comics and heard others talk about it, and started playing with some friends (was taught by a sitter one night who was only a few years older). But it was a game at a local shop by a DM several decades older that helped get us hooked.
This too is EXACTLY what I am talking about.

The game does not proliferate as well if older gamers are not involved!

Thanks for actually reading my lengthy post :)

Warpiglet-7

I know I introduced my son to it and he got several friends interested and I gave each a PHB. They will start their first campaign this summer. I am proud to see it happen.
It’s really cool to see!

My kids are itching to play again too! Now granted it’s a goblin, a Kenku and a custom fruit person in their party but the teamwork and dice chucking is a great thing to see kids learn!

They did some things to make me proud! To save a slower dwarf character (their uncle) their fastest character distracted the ogre zombie to buy some time.

It was their plan and it worked…much cheering!

My yougest later played with the parents group and really attempted to learn. He was grabbing the right dice, using strategy and asking relevant questions…made my day!

Belen

Adventurer
It’s really cool to see!

My kids are itching to play again too! Now granted it’s a goblin, a Kenku and a custom fruit person in their party but the teamwork and dice chucking is a great thing to see kids learn!

They did some things to make me proud! To save a slower dwarf character (their uncle) their fastest character distracted the ogre zombie to buy some time.

It was their plan and it worked…much cheering!

My yougest later played with the parents group and really attempted to learn. He was grabbing the right dice, using strategy and asking relevant questions…made my day!
Yeah....you can see a huge difference in the type of characters they choose to play versus those from when I was that age. I do not see any normal options like humans, elves, dwarves, etc. I think it is funny that they see those options as too vanilla.

Warpiglet-7

Yeah....you can see a huge difference in the type of characters they choose to play versus those from when I was that age. I do not see any normal options like humans, elves, dwarves, etc. I think it is funny that they see those options as too vanilla.
My son just played a half elf following his goblin!

I like some freaky races at times though am partial to dwarves and humans.

My daughter has a bird and can do a great crow sound so the Kenku was a fun choice

Clint_L

Hero
Didn't we get some statistics on this? I recall being surprised that players over 50 were a much smaller piece of the pie than I expected. As a player over 50. We are, of course, the best piece of the pie...though I may be biased.

Our overall role in 5e's success is pretty hard to quantify, though. I think it is not determinative, but significant. For example, a lot of the media that help push D&D, or a D&D-adjacent sensibility into the public consciousness over the past decade has been generated by Gen Xers. And even those who never went back to playing the game are much more likely to be comfortable with it than previous generations. More inclined to buy a starter set for their kid, or niece/nephew. In my case, more inclined to run a D&D Club at school, for example.

I think it is important that the game keeps moving forward with the culture, and it is right that it reflects a youthful perspective. It's healthy. But I appreciate that WotC makes gestures to include us fogies. It feels like that OD&D collection is aimed squarely at me. Using Greyhawk in the updated DMG. And so on. So I feel included, even if I'm not the priority.

Warpiglet-7

Didn't we get some statistics on this? I recall being surprised that players over 50 were a much smaller piece of the pie than I expected. As a player over 50. We are, of course, the best piece of the pie...though I may be biased.

Our overall role in 5e's success is pretty hard to quantify, though. I think it is not determinative, but significant. For example, a lot of the media that help push D&D, or a D&D-adjacent sensibility into the public consciousness over the past decade has been generated by Gen Xers. And even those who never went back to playing the game are much more likely to be comfortable with it than previous generations. More inclined to buy a starter set for their kid, or niece/nephew. In my case, more inclined to run a D&D Club at school, for example.

I think it is important that the game keeps moving forward with the culture, and it is right that it reflects a youthful perspective. It's healthy. But I appreciate that WotC makes gestures to include us fogies. It feels like that OD&D collection is aimed squarely at me. Using Greyhawk in the updated DMG. And so on. So I feel included, even if I'm not the priority.
I think they are keeping a number of priorities. And I am ok not being the top one but throw me a bone.

And they have been. I will be buying the new phb.

More broadly though I think despite over 40s being relatively small in number, for upcoming revenue in terms he next several years it my belief that 1:1 we are a bigger proportion of revenue that mere number of players suggests. I think they know that despite not being able to back it up with data. It’s just my belief.

Clearly the veteran gamer cannot be the primary focus. They will want to focus on longer term revenue streams. But I think they have been walking that line successfully.

I also think the game itself has been significantly shaped by Gen x…which suggest maybe? Our tastes are not so incongruent with the younger player’s needs.

I don’t know. But I am happy to play with all age groups. I just really want to play!

GarthS

Villager
Another GenX gamer here.

I know a fair few in this generation who bought 5e "for their kids", but the kids didn't pick it up because their parents didn't run it for them.

I completely missed 5e for other games, but I think I'm in for 5.2e because of:

• commitment to CC license
  • embracing some of the old settings instead of everything being about Forgotten Realms
  • psionic damage classes (I'd prefer full psionics, but I get the reluctance to support them)
  • the agreements to support VTT platforms other than D&DB and whatever the WotC 3D VTT will be

AstroCat

Adventurer
We are genX, and we have introduced our kids to d&d, they now play in certain campaigns with the adults. And, they now run and play in their own games with their gaming friends. We have and continue to do our part to pass on the "love the game" despite the absolutely hostile environment of the current scene has become. But you know, you go to a con like GaryCon and vibe is super positive and filled with awesome games and people, it gives you some hope. And the kids play and run games at the cons now as well.

And we spend, huge whale amounts on minis, terrain, accessories and stuff to support the hobby. Not really with wotc any more, used to up to a few years back, but not any more with them. We were all in for 2014 5e, loved it, played in AL, the whole thing! But remember, they don't want my business any more.

Last edited:

Remove ads