• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Forgotten Realms geographic changes.

There's also Weathercote Wood, which is basically the Wood Between Worlds in the Narnia books, with its pools that are gateways to other worlds. Nobanion, the Realms' Aslan expy, is supposed to have come to the Realms from one of the gateways in the forest.

Epic Meepo

Adventurer
The map of Malatra confirms its size (~1000 miles across), and that the placement of Malatra on the FRIA map is impossible (it would only be ~150 miles across), so it was then a case of trying to fit in such a large area in the space available. I believe the final conclusion came from Markus Tay's old maps on Candlekeep from the late 2000s, where he concluded that location was the only one that really made sense.
The Malatran Plateau seems to fit fairly well where you placed it. And placing it there fills space that isn't otherwise used. Seems like an elegant solution to the problem. Probably more elegant than the solution I'm thinking of using, which involves extra-dimensional shenanigans.

That kind of hand-waving is a kludgey way to resolve a scale discrepancy, but I figure making the plateau "bigger on the inside" and stuffing its interior in some other dimension (Abeir maybe?) helps to explain why the gods of Toril seem to have no influence over that region.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Wait what part of the inland sea was supposed to be Narnia?
I don't know if it was supposed to be Narnia per se, but Ed Greenwood deliberately put Aslan as a deity in the Realms. You can find more on that here:

I don't know if it was supposed to be Narnia per se, but Ed Greenwood deliberately put Aslan as a deity in the Realms. You can find more on that here:

The magical pools in the Weathercote Woods seem to deliberately evoke the Wood between Worlds seen in the Magician's Nephew.

EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to it.

Voadam

Legend

Beat me to it.

From Dragon 54:

1715003021387.png

1715003127188.png

Remove ads