• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DUNE Movie: Thoughts, Opinions, and Impressions

Clint_L

Hero
Dune 2 better than dune 1. Its a good movie but not great but maybe it’s the books fault

The villians/heroes don’t get me emotionally invested
The bad guy dies.
Good mentor dies
Hero wins

Honestly the 2 villians did horrible things but don’t shine like the black panther villian, thanos henchman that hurts some avengers, or thanos or really good villians. There was no cheering or anything felt
Same with the heroes-sure I was worried they could die but there was no emotion behind it

I think both actors were capable of it but they didn’t drag me into it

The whole race argument and false messiah is just projection. He was able to accomplish things that most couldn’t
They were villains because they were evil. Born bad, I tells yuh!

To be honest, House Harkonen (or whatever) really confuses me. Are they basically a sub-species of hairless, albino sociopaths? Like, how does their planet run? Are there Harkonen shopkeepers and preschool teachers and stuff? Or is it basically like Mordor?

Anyhow, yeah, stock villains. Just there to be really depraved and spare us having to worry about the morality of killing them all. The movie is not really a thinker.

To be honest, House Harkonen (or whatever) really confuses me. Are they basically a sub-species of hairless, albino sociopaths? Like, how does their planet run? Are there Harkonen shopkeepers and preschool teachers and stuff? Or is it basically like Mordor?

The short answer to this is that the movie shows the aristocracy, not how most planets run on a more basic, day-to-day level. This is kind of like asking what it was like to be a French peasant based off of watching Dangerous Liaisons.

If you want to discuss further, there are a lot of hints and details buried in there about what life is probably like for the lower castes, but I'll probably have trouble remembering what I got from the movie(s) and what I got from the books.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
I imagine there are merchants, teachers, etc., etc. on Giedi Prime but the movie isn't focused on pedagogy in in the year 10,191. Same reason why we don't get a glipse of regular Federation life outside of Starfleet in the first Star Trek series. By the last Dune book, the last one by Herbert I mean, thousands of years have passed and the Harkonnens aren't the same as they used to be.

Stalker0

Legend
What I saw was a young man that wanted revenge. The Fremen were a tool to achieve that goal. I don't think he cared that much about them.
I would argue that Paul's constant pulling away from going south throughout most of the movie was his attempts to avoid mass death, and it was only when the fremen were slaughtered that he finally gave in and decided he had to commit to that path to save them.

Now did Paul want revenge, absolutely, but I think he resisted that impulse (or at least satiated it with the raids). Ultimately he made a choice that saved the fremen, but resulted in the slaughter of billions of other people in the process.

Remove ads