• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Commentary thread for that “Describe your game in five words” thread.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
"What's the big deal? I don't need nothing but fireball."

Sixth level and the sheet didn't have anything past first. Almost none of them update their own sheets at home, so if its a group update on DDB with one of them driving, strange things happen.

On the plus side they've finally learned (after 3 years?) to check their own character sheets for how weapons and spells work. (Oldest is now 15 I think).

MarkB

Legend
Sixth level and the sheet didn't have anything past first. Almost none of them update their own sheets at home, so if its a group update on DDB with one of them driving, strange things happen.

On the plus side they've finally learned (after 3 years?) to check their own character sheets for how weapons and spells work. (Oldest is now 15 I think).
DDB's not got a great interface when it comes to updating spell lists. For any other class feature it'll highlight any choices you need to make at level-up, but for spells they're tucked away in a separate menu that's hard to even spot unless you go looking for it, and then you have to find the "Add spells" option at the bottom of the list before it'll even tell you you're missing anything. It's an odd piece of design, given that everything else is laid out clearly tab by tab.

I treasure the look I saw on a player's face as he recognised the sequence of saving throws he was rolling, and realised his character was hovering above a beholder they couldn't see.
Heh. They're at their worst in old-school Spelljammer where they can really exploit the lack of a fixed up/down to maximize "eyes on target" and avoid melee types. Plus there's often a whole shipload of them to deal with and there's the ship-scale combo-beams to worry about. Better hope your helmsman is good enough to keep out of their short range while you take potshots with ballistae and catapults and whatnot. Most parties are just dead if they reach boarding ranges without taking losses.

Richards

Legend
Hey, it's better than the disintegration eyebeam. Beholders are a whole laundry list of increasingly worse things that can happen to you, and petrification is by no means as bad as it gets.
Yeah, they stuffed me in an extradimensional space, teleported to our home city, and paid a wizard to cast stone to flesh on me. So I'm better now, just ticked I didn't get to see the killing blow get delivered on the stupid beholder.

Still and all, it was better than that time a ghost panicked me into dropping everything in my hands and fleeing as far and as fast as I could...right after I had learned the dimension door spell. The other PCs tried holding me back, but I wasn't having any of it. It was pretty embarrassing when the effect wore off and I had used up all of my dimension door spells for the day and had to walk back about a quarter mile to join my friends, who had, in the meantime, dealt with two ghosts and a spirit naga without me.

Saving throw die rolls are not always my friends.

Johnathan

The worst beholder-related PC death I ever saw was the time one used its telekinesis eyestalk to chuck the poor sap into his own sphere of annihilation. He was so happy when he got the thing, too.

Remove ads