• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blog or Newsletter?

Reynard

Legend
This summer I am going to ramp up.some indie design and publishing, and I want to do some outreach to help build an audience with whom I can converse. For years I kept up an intermittent blog about all the geeky things I found fun or thought provoking, but it has been dead for a couple years.

In starting to try and cultivate a fresh audience and potential customers, should I go back to blogging, or should I do the Newsletter thing? I am subscribed to a few and I like the format, but I have never done one.

I'm especially interested from folks who do either or both, but also from folks who read either or both as a way to stay connected to creators they like.

Thanks.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I'm the reverse, preferring weekly-ish to monthly-ish newsletters. I almost never visit a blog unless there's something specific mentioned in a newsletter that catches my eye. So....
Have you considered doing the blog AND sending out a newsletter with a brief recap of whatever you did on the blog? It's a little extra work, but that way you get both audiences.

Reynard

Legend
I'm the reverse, preferring weekly-ish to monthly-ish newsletters. I almost never visit a blog unless there's something specific mentioned in a newsletter that catches my eye. So....
Have you considered doing the blog AND sending out a newsletter with a brief recap of whatever you did on the blog? It's a little extra work, but that way you get both audiences.
That is probably smartest.

Thinking about my own consumption habits, it's a bit tricky - I do read blog articles and often enjoy them (mostly in the OSR sphere), but this is only when they are posted or recommended by someone I follow on social media (mostly Twitter and a bit of Bluesky); newsletters on the other hand I will read more regularly, but it really takes a while until I subscribe (e.g. in terms of roleplaying things, the only non-publisher newsletter I'm subscribed to is Questing Beast's Glatisant).
Potentially you could use substack and do both. But I don't have any personal experience with it. And if I ever get back to writing something on the web, I'd probably just try my hand at blogging.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I only use Discord for game comms and such. What do creators tend to use them for?
I joined up one for a Fantasy Football advice product. I didnt plan to go to the discord at all, but then saw the creator posts there regularly. Updated news, community notes, etc.. Its a good way to engage with your customers, followers, etc...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A lot of blog platforms will do that for you automatically.

Remove ads