• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General The Evolution of the Monster Stat Block

Quickleaf

Legend
3.0 and 3.5 stat blocks were quite similar, with only some labeling changes and the addition of "Full Attack" and "Level Adjustment" entries.

View attachment 316143

Late 3.5 though saw a rearrangement and reorganization, including the addition of special trait details added to the end.

View attachment 316131
One of the fascinating things about the 3e stat blocks is how they became very good at solving problems that they created. This is not UNIQUE to 3e – it happens in other incarnations of D&D, esp. modern D&D – but since you provided the handy example, I'm running with it.

The Corrupture Ooze is a monster adapted to water environments – meaning it moves/breathes fine in water & you're at some form of a disadvantage if you face it in the water and you are not water adapted (can't recall the specific 3e rules). Due to the info density of the stat block, this information is repeated in multiple areas to make sure the GM doesn't miss it:
• (aquatic) tag
• Speed ...swim 20 ft
• SQ amphibious...
• Skills ...Swim +18
• Skills "In addition, it has +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard."

I recognize how the system encouraged spelling this stuff out, but good heavens that's a LOT of redundancy for conveying a pretty simple idea.

Last edited:

I think B/X is probably closest to my ideal stat block, although it is a bit too combat-focused for my preferences. But I really strongly prefer if core stats can be written down inline or in small boxes (I think I would like 5e adventures dramatically better if all designers wrote down the stats like @Sacrosanct ).
If we include 3rd party products, the best stat blocks for D&D-like fantasy I have seen are contained in the upcoming Dolmenwood monster book:
1698346444784.png

Last edited:

I think B/X is probably closest to my ideal stat block, although it is a bit too combat-focused for my preferences. But I really strongly prefer if core stats can be written down inline or in small boxes (I think I would like 5e adventures dramatically better if all designers wrote down the stats like @Sacrosanct ).
If we include 3rd party products, the best stat blocks for D&D-like fantasy I have seen are contained in the upcoming Dolmenwood monster book:
I'd just been thinking that the Dolmenwood blocks were a good compromise between old-style and modern stat blocks.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Bob World Builder did a video on this, and got over 1000 comments disagreeing with simplifying things much at all.... The comments are enlightening for designers.

One of the fascinating things about the 3e stat blocks is how they became very good at solving problems that they created. This is not UNIQUE to 3e – it happens in other incarnations of D&D, esp. modern D&D – but since you provided the handy example, I'm running with it.

The Corrupture Ooze is a monster adapted to water environments – meaning it moves/breathes fine in water & you're at some form of a disadvantage if you face it in the water and you are not water adapted (can't recall the specific 3e rules). Due to the info density of the stat block, this information is repeated in multiple areas to make sure the GM doesn't miss it:
• (aquatic) tag
• Speed ...swim 20 ft
• SQ amphibious...
• Skills ...Swim +18
• Skills "In addition, it has +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard."

I recognize how the system encouraged spelling this stuff out, but good heavens that's a LOT of redundancy for conveying a pretty simple idea.
In this case, the "Amphibious" quality is actually telling you that it can breath air.

These days I prefer the Pathfinder stat blocks, as that's what I'm used to - I always look for stuff in the wrong place on 3rd edition stat blocks.

I myself prefer the 4e/5e self-contained stat blocks; with 5e getting the edge for readability. I do like the copious 2e lore, although not as much as I used to.

I can see why folks prefer the older versions, though. The bigger self-contained blocks take up a lot of space on the page!

I'm leaning towards the 4E stat-block. I think the 5E version is too spread out with too much redundancy and wasted space. By condensing the 5E stat- block you would have room for more lore and/or variants.

I think the 4E version does look a bit drab, but conveys all the combat information fairly concisely without resorting to shorthand.

Voadam

Legend
I have a slight preference edge for 4e. You always have everything you need to run the monster in the stat block and they are in an order you expect. No real extraneous cruft in the stat block part. Decent use of shading for visual line differentiation.

5e also has most things you want without stuff you don't when using them at the table as well, but spell lists as references in the book is less useful for me and the organization is a little poorer.

I do like 5e calculating average damage, it makes expected damage so much more transparent for me as a DM. I also prefer 5e listing AC then hp over 4e doing the reverse, attacks come in against AC first then damage hp. I don't like the CR listing position in the stat block, it is fairly buried when I am trying to quickly look for stuff that will be around a CR 8 or so. Senses and passive perception is in a weird place to reference quickly too.

3e was crazy with cross reference stuff like feats and spells that were fiddly and easy to lose track of. The 3.5 improvements over 3.0 included the functionally very useful BAB/Grapple entry line. I don't really feel a need for environment and no. appearing and treasure notes in the stat blocks, those should be in the narrative descriptions if needed.

2e statblock was fine, the lore was fantastic. A lot of unnecessary stuff for a stat block that should be in descriptions if necessary. Diet, organization, active time, intelligence. Magic resistance should have been included under special defenses if the monster had it instead of a separate stat block line for every monster with half saying none.

1e psionic ability on every stat block? That was pure clutter and should have gone under special attacks the same as monster spells or spell like abilities. Percent in lair was not useful for me, you encountered the monster where the situation or module indicated.

B/X fairly clean and functional. Unfortunate that it has to list a save as entry instead of just tying the save to HD the way 1e did.

Oe very functional, could have ditched the % in lair.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Percent in lair was not useful for me, you encountered the monster where the situation or module indicated.
Earlier editions had a large focus on random encounters during exploration and wandering monsters in dungeons. The "% in lair" was to determine if you ran into the creature(s) in or near their home, which was helpful as many monsters had different treasure in their lair.

Remove ads