• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General How often do you complete a campaign as a player?

As a player (not DM) how often do you complete a campaign? The definition of complete is up to you

Hussar

Legend
Personally I’d say about 40 sessions is a very reasonable assumption. One year of weekly play should be an achievable goal.

And yes, the point about other systems is very true. I’ve played lots of games which have a tighter focus than DnD.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Personally I’d say about 40 sessions is a very reasonable assumption. One year of weekly play should be an achievable goal.

And yes, the point about other systems is very true. I’ve played lots of games which have a tighter focus than DnD.

Its not only that but D&D style games tend to gate a lot of options behind level. Given they don't have the zero-to-hero bias, that's much less true for a lot of ones outside the class/level paradigm.

Hussar

Legend
Its not only that but D&D style games tend to gate a lot of options behind level. Given they don't have the zero-to-hero bias, that's much less true for a lot of ones outside the class/level paradigm.

True. I can’t really see an open ended Cthulhu game. Your characters are going to come to a bad end. The only question is how bad and when.

Or an open ended Dread game would require a honking huge Jenga tower. :)

Thomas Shey

Legend
True. I can’t really see an open ended Cthulhu game. Your characters are going to come to a bad end. The only question is how bad and when.

Or an open ended Dread game would require a honking huge Jenga tower. :)

You can have incremental versions of Hero System games, or Fragged Empire. But its never about waiting around to get access to level 10 so you can get the cool stuff. Its about what you want to do or when you get tired.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads