• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR Best Way to Replicate AD&D?

I really enjoy 1E AD&D. It's not all because of nostalgia (but it helps). I would happily railroad new players into enjoying it with me upon pain of death - but then they'd have me there to help them get past all the foofaraw. For anyone trying to get into AD&D (even 2E) on their own it will fight them. AD&D does it's own gatekeeping and always has. I think OSRIC might be a good alternative, but IMO when it comes down to it - if it's AD&D you truly WANT, then accept no substitutes. Wanting something simpler, easier to reference, easier to teach/learn, etc. it actually does mean that you DON'T really want AD&D. AD&D has flaws. A lot of them. Some big, some little. You either can get into it/get over it, or you play something that to one degree or another is actually not AD&D.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I think OSRIC might be a good alternative, but IMO when it comes down to it - if it's AD&D you truly WANT, then accept no substitutes. Wanting something simpler, easier to reference, easier to teach/learn, etc. it actually does mean that you DON'T really want AD&D. AD&D has flaws. A lot of them. Some big, some little. You either can get into it/get over it, or you play something that to one degree or another is actually not AD&D.
I agree (except BECMI instead of AD&D). This isn't an insult to the many different OSR games out there--I've played a handful and many of them are very good!--just an acknowledgement that even the best of them can't recapture the feel of the original. Those flaws and weird mechanics are integral to the way the game is played and enjoyed, and the game won't be the same without them. Some changes are bigger than others, but they're still changes and you will notice them.

Anyway. Play the game you love! If you are looking for a modern alternative to the classic D&D you remember, and you're willing to accept that certain things are going to be different, I recommend Castles & Crusades. But if you truly want to recapture the full experience of playing BECM, accept no substitutes. Go buy the PDFs, summon your friends, and play the original.

Remove ads