• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I’m too much of a lazy and anxious noob to look up all these terms and acronyms in order to understand what is being talked about in some of these threads and try to engage with them. 😓

Sure, go ahead and dismiss it as a "skill issue." The fact that you can't even articulate a response beyond that tells me everything I need to know about how critically you examine the design of the games you play. Being able to recognize a bad system doesn't mean you're falling prey to it.

"It's not a problem because it's not hard to avoid the problem." OK, sure, I agree. But that doesn't justify the design -- quite the opposite. If the design has knock-on effects that make play miserable early on, but don't actually add any challenge or interesting decisions once you're even slightly accustomed to the gameplay... what the heck is the mechanic doing there at all? All it does is make the learning curve less pleasant. It's not bad design. It's worse. It's pointless and thoughtless design. It means they made the game do it without considering why or what effect these incentives would have. It's antidesign.

And if the story ends before you get to the point where you can learn these mechanics, then those mechanics don't exist for anyone who stops when the story is complete. And, guess, what? You can look at the achievement statistics and see just how many people finish the game's story and then... put it down and never progress into your lauded "endgame." So this huge range of people playing this game just never see any of this. The game is years old and you're still here playing it. You're already wildly the exception. No game developer should be making a game for people who play like you do, because nobody does that.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It really is just "it works in practice but not in theory," "I can't do it, therefore no one can do it," and "my preferences objective facts" on repeat, isn't it?

Remove ads