• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Shadowdark casting in standard 5E

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I tried to blend Shadowdark/DCC/Beyond the Wall style mechanics into my OSE game, and found it was too much work for the result. So I instead would run those systems if I wanted that variant spell system, as they were effectively close to OSE anyway. I stuck with OSE/BX (Vancian) casting for my OSE games.
Beyond the Wall is lightweight enough you can graft a lot of extra complexity to it if you feel its warranted. The only real downside to the BtW system, to my mind, is the retention of the old-school "5 weirdly named saves" system.

To be clear, we fly by the set of our pants and make rules up as we go. So we don't think things through for the whole game. We just do what works for specific group at that specific time. After a campaign ends we might go back and adjust things if we feel it is needed.
Understood.
I'm sorry, I don't get your meaning.
Perhaps I misunderstood. It's a HD per spell level right? So a Haste = 3 HD? So a Wish is 9 HD?
One thing I forgot to mention is that if you run out of HD in our system you can incur exhaustion levels on a 1HD 1 Exhaustion level basis. Thus emulating the fictional pushing oneself till exhaustion.

Also, something I didn't explain is the single attack damage can be more important in our game because we have armor DR.
Do monsters in your system get DR? I would imagine yes. If yes is it estimated based on the creature or do you use monster proficiency bonus = DR.?
I should also mention any healing you get requires you spend a HD, even if it is magical (again similar to 4e)
Interesting.
When we played 4e we only allowed the cleric to issue healing that didn’t cost HD to differentiate Divine healing from all the other healing powers that existed.
Yes, we don't use the standard rules for rest and recovery or even hit points really.
I thought as much.
We have minor (5-10 min), short (1 hr), long (6-8 hrs), and extended rests (1 week).
I like this.

Cruentus

Adventurer
Beyond the Wall is lightweight enough you can graft a lot of extra complexity to it if you feel its warranted. The only real downside to the BtW system, to my mind, is the retention of the old-school "5 weirdly named saves" system.
Agreed, it is a nice platform to bolt things to. I do think that I remember in their optional rules section, you could use "simplified saves" of Reflex, Fortitude, and Will, and they gave you a chart to use if you wanted that system.

I also use their Playbook system for my OSE games, and have pilfered other little elements.

I do appreciate the simplicity/flexibility of the system.

dave2008

Legend
Perhaps I misunderstood. It's a HD per spell level right? So a Haste = 3 HD? So a Wish is 9 HD?
One thing I forgot to mention is that if you run out of HD in our system you can incur exhaustion levels on a 1HD 1 Exhaustion level basis. Thus emulating the fictional pushing oneself till exhaustion.
OK, I understand what you mean now. I guess that is correct, but I never think of that way because you can only spend these HD on a short rest or longer to recharge your slots, not to cast a specific spell.
Do monsters in your system get DR? I would imagine yes. If yes is it estimated based on the creature or do you use monster proficiency bonus = DR.?
Yes, for everything DR = AC-10. So an ancient dragon has DR 12 and plate armor has DR 8. However, DR only comes into play when your HP are 0 or on critical hits. Any other time armor, AC, and HP works as normal.
Interesting.
When we played 4e we only allowed the cleric to issue healing that didn’t cost HD to differentiate Divine healing from all the other healing powers that existed.
I like that idea.

Remove ads