• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Pauln6

Hero
Honestly, a Wisdom save should suffice for that sort of thing if needed.
I think the main issue with wisdom saves as the baseline is that a monster's wisdom takes no account of their personality or purpose, so a trained soldier would be easier to intimidate than the wise old herbalist. It's very inelegant.

Using the old morale score allows you be more situation specific. A cowardly goblin is more likely to run than a martial hobgoblin. I just think about rolling when a monster hits half hp, when a leader is killed, or when half their allies are killed. It would be nice to have a table rather than having to refer to previous editions.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I think the main issue with wisdom saves as the baseline is that a monster's wisdom takes no account of their personality or purpose, so a trained soldier would be easier to intimidate than the wise old herbalist. It's very inelegant.

Using the old morale score allows you be more situation specific. A cowardly goblin is more likely to run than a martial hobgoblin. I just think about rolling when a monster hits half hp, when a leader is killed, or when half their allies are killed. It would be nice to have a table rather than having to refer to previous editions.
I think Wis save is ok to represent "morale checks", each time a comrad gets Bloodied.

However, I strongly want to divorce Will and Perception from each other. Ideally, Perception is a separate ability alongside Strength and Intelligence.

All knowledge checks, including Medicine, Survival, and any knowledge gained "intuitively", need to be Intelligence.

Then some soldiers happen to have high Wisdom, thus maintain morale and stay sane. But others might not.

I think something like this is already in the DMG.
Edit yeah Morale
A creature might flee under any of the following circumstances:

• The creature is surprised.
  • The creature is reduced to half its hit points or fewer for the first time in the battle.
  • The creature has no way to harm the opposing side on its turn.
A group of creatures might flee under any of the following circumstances:

• All the creatures in the group are surprised.
  • The group’s leader is reduced to 0 hit points, incapacitated, taken prisoner, or removed from battle.
  • The group is reduced to half its original size with no losses on the opposing side.
The leader makes a wisdom save for a group, or the next highest charisma if the leader is out of the picture. It can auto fail if the DM feels the creature or group would flee at that point.

Last edited:

Remove ads