• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Enhancing Vecna: Eve of Ruin *SPOILERS*

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Most of the people here are not talking about 'Enhancing' the adventure, but about changing the adventure, heavily in most cases. Which imho is something different.

I'm handling the technical aspect of this adventure for Foundry VTT in our upcoming DM switch and am looking at more 'Enhancements'. Like:
  • Better maps, found those here: Get more from DM Todd Bloom on Patreon
  • Added walls/doors, lighting, easy room number navigation, tokens, etc.
  • Converting the 'read aloud' marked section with text-to-speech software. When comparing the different options, I got the best results here: Text to Speech & AI Voice Generator
  • Look at specific sound effects that are appropriate for scenes and situations.
  • Setting up image galleries per chapter for all the art in the book, to easily share with players.
  • Finding art for scenes, characters that have no art in the book.
  • For the start of the adventure I'll be adding the map for the Neverwinter region from Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk, and the Neverwinter city map from Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide. Note: I'm currently working on Chapter 1.
  • Adding in automatic skill, save, etc. rolls in the adventure text.
  • Updating 'missing' tokens to the new D&D5e FVTT standard.
  • Adding keys as separate objects that will open only specific doors.
  • Adding separate items for all the stuff you can find in the adventure, do need to find or create art for that (AI art here I come!).
  • Adding a landing page from the DM Screen (expensive boxed set) from here: https://beadleandgrimms.com/cdn/shop/files/DM_Screen_Exterior_Marketing_Image.jpg
  • Automate traps (like the sword in 1.2).

I'm sure the DM will change stuff, that's not my department! ;) But when asked to explain Spelljammer, I explained 2e and then the changes in 5e separately. I suddenly remembered why I don't like 5e Spelljammer all that much... I wasn't asked yet about Planescape, but I did look it up and not all that happy with those changes either... That said, not that happy with 5e FR either, but we're playing in that as well, so apparently I can live with change and setting changes I don't like... ;)

Anyone got any advise for additional art/maps, soundscapes or any other suggestions that are additions instead of changes?

Attachments

• NeverdeathCatacomb.webp
    NeverdeathCatacomb.webp
    539.4 KB · Views: 5

dave2008

Legend
Most of the people here are not talking about 'Enhancing' the adventure, but about changing the adventure, heavily in most cases. Which imho is something different.

I'm handling the technical aspect of this adventure for Foundry VTT in our upcoming DM switch and am looking at more 'Enhancements'. Like:
  • Better maps, found those here: Get more from DM Todd Bloom on Patreon
  • Added walls/doors, lighting, easy room number navigation, tokens, etc.
  • Converting the 'read aloud' marked section with text-to-speech software. When comparing the different options, I got the best results here: Text to Speech & AI Voice Generator
  • Look at specific sound effects that are appropriate for scenes and situations.
  • Setting up image galleries per chapter for all the art in the book, to easily share with players.
  • Finding art for scenes, characters that have no art in the book.
  • For the start of the adventure I'll be adding the map for the Neverwinter region from Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk, and the Neverwinter city map from Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide. Note: I'm currently working on Chapter 1.
  • Adding in automatic skill, save, etc. rolls in the adventure text.
  • Updating 'missing' tokens to the new D&D5e FVTT standard.
  • Adding keys as separate objects that will open only specific doors.
  • Adding separate items for all the stuff you can find in the adventure, do need to find or create art for that (AI art here I come!).
  • Adding a landing page from the DM Screen (expensive boxed set) from here: https://beadleandgrimms.com/cdn/shop/files/DM_Screen_Exterior_Marketing_Image.jpg
  • Automate traps (like the sword in 1.2).

I'm sure the DM will change stuff, that's not my department! ;) But when asked to explain Spelljammer, I explained 2e and then the changes in 5e separately. I suddenly remembered why I don't like 5e Spelljammer all that much... I wasn't asked yet about Planescape, but I did look it up and not all that happy with those changes either... That said, not that happy with 5e FR either, but we're playing in that as well, so apparently I can live with change and setting changes I don't like... ;)

Anyone got any advise for additional art/maps, soundscapes or any other suggestions that are additions instead of changes?
The thing is, there is a whole series of Enhance (Insert Adventure Name Here) threads on EnWorld that are similar to this one. So, while what your doing is also an enhancement, it is not so similar to the nature of this series of threads. The enhancements discussed in these threads are generally of the nature displayed here: how to change, modify, add to the adventure to improve it in a variety of different ways.

So I will politely disagree with your assessment that we are not talking about enhancements. If you want to brag about your Foundry work great! But please don't come in late to the show and claim you know what we are talking about better than we do.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
For background, the title came from a similar series of threads back on the old WotC forums. It has the weight of tradition behind it.
facepalm

That explains the situation, but that doesn't excuse the horrible naming convention of the thread. I wanted to avoid starting a new thread about adding to, instead of changing the adventure, the name of the thread didn't mesh with most of the content.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I wanted to avoid starting a new thread about adding to, instead of changing the adventure, the name of the thread didn't mesh with most of the content.
The "enhancing" threads are meant to be places for people to share any cool thing or idea that will make the adventure run better at the table. All of them have included ways to add to an adventure without changing it, through additional resources or add-on side adventures. Maybe this particular thread has been mostly changes so far, but posts about maps, art, sounds, etc. are definitely welcome. (I honestly don't get your problem with the word "enhancing" because to my mind, that word encompasses both changing and adding. But be assured that this thread is the right place to post additions.)

Last edited:

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
facepalm

That explains the situation, but that doesn't excuse the horrible naming convention of the thread. I wanted to avoid starting a new thread about adding to, instead of changing the adventure, the name of the thread didn't mesh with most of the content.
"Enhancing" can include alterations, removals, or additions to existing content. You're applying your own meaning to it and rejecting others.

The idea is to enhance the adventure, to improve the quality of the end result.
Better hooks, patches and changes for plot holes, different statblocks, different encounters- all that can enhance an adventure.

dave2008

Legend
facepalm

Yes, I'm going there - dictionary time! :p

Enhance: intensify, increase, or further improve the quality, value, or extent of.
Enhance: HEIGHTEN, INCREASE; especially to increase or improve in value, quality, desirability, or attractiveness
Enhance: to raise to a higher degree; intensify; magnify:
Enhance: to improve the quality, amount, or strength of something

Titles all good - 4 sources agree with the usage in this thread. Your content is good to add and welcome. It is minor enhancement, but helpful nonetheless!

Remove ads