• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

newbies guide for Fallout 4

pukunui

Legend
I don't think there's anything else major that Codsworth tutorialises you on. Just a safe way to experience some easy combat.
Ah, so was there no tutorial for using the VATS?

If you have the quest selected in your Pipboy, there should be a marker on your map and compass for him when you next need to speak to him.

Also, there's a Town Bell item you can build in a settlement, and when you ring it all the settlers will gather near it. Handy if you want to see who's not currently doing anything and assign them to tasks, or have lost track of someone you want to talk to.
Turns out I just need one a Vault-Tec Population Management System! I'll have to see if I can build one yet. (Yes, I've got all the DLC.)

New question: If I assign a settler to a food plant, do they only work on that one plant, or do they work on all the plants of that type, or all the plants in the settlement? Also, what do they actually do? I find that I still have to go and collect fruits and stuff off the plants myself.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Ah, so was there no tutorial for using the VATS?

Turns out I just need one a Vault-Tec Population Management System! I'll have to see if I can build one yet. (Yes, I've got all the DLC.)

New question: If I assign a settler to a food plant, do they only work on that one plant, or do they work on all the plants of that type, or all the plants in the settlement? Also, what do they actually do? I find that I still have to go and collect fruits and stuff off the plants myself.

Each worker can produce 6 good. They're not exclusive to the crop unassigned them.

Some crops for 1 food others 0.5 so 6-12 plants per pop.

VATs is keyed off perception. VATs sniper build is decent.

pukunui

Legend
Each worker can produce 6 good. They're not exclusive to the crop unassigned them.

Some crops for 1 food others 0.5 so 6-12 plants per pop.
OK, so I need one 'farmer' for every 6 plants? And what do they do with the plants they tend? Do they collect the produce, and then I have to trade with them to get it? Or do I still just get it off the plant myself?

Chasing settlers and trading with them to get the produce they've harvested doesn't sound like much fun ...

VATs is keyed off perception. VATs sniper build is decent.
Yeah, I got that, but the game never gave me any instruction on how to use it (in game). I've just had to sort of figure it out for myself / do some research on the internet.

MarkB

Legend
VATs is keyed off perception.
With some wrinkles. VATS accuracy is tied to Perception, but the amount of Action Points you have available in VATS is linked to Agility, which has some related Perks. And then your ability to use Critical hits in VATS is keyed to Luck, with some perks in that tree which will further enhance your VATS performance.

OK, so I need one 'farmer' for every 6 plants? And what do they do with the plants they tend? Do they collect the produce, and then I have to trade with them to get it? Or do I still just get it off the plant myself?

Chasing settlers and trading with them to get the produce they've harvested doesn't sound like much fun ...
so excess food and water is stored in the workshop as are any caps generated by stores. Crops can also be picked manually in addition to being deposited automatically in the workbench, thus nearly doubling the yield.

Excess food will not be automatically stored in the workshop at any settlement whose workshop already contains more than 10 food items (including items that cannot be produced by settlement resources, like meat, gumdrops, etc). This cap on excess food storage increases by 1 per settlement population.

Excess water will not be automatically stored in the workshop at any settlement whose workshop already contains more than 5 drink items (including items that cannot be produced by settlement resources, like dirty water, alcohol, etc). This cap on excess water storage increases by 1 per every 4 units of settlement population.

Caps have no such limit.

Walls beyond looking good are useless since there are spots at each settlement that enemies spawn at, some are even inside a settlement's boundaries (Abernathy farm for example has one right in the middle of it's lower area)

pukunui

Legend
so excess food and water is stored in the workshop as are any caps generated by stores. Crops can also be picked manually in addition to being deposited automatically in the workbench, thus nearly doubling the yield.

Excess food will not be automatically stored in the workshop at any settlement whose workshop already contains more than 10 food items (including items that cannot be produced by settlement resources, like meat, gumdrops, etc). This cap on excess food storage increases by 1 per settlement population.

Excess water will not be automatically stored in the workshop at any settlement whose workshop already contains more than 5 drink items (including items that cannot be produced by settlement resources, like dirty water, alcohol, etc). This cap on excess water storage increases by 1 per every 4 units of settlement population.

Caps have no such limit.
Thanks. Sounds a bit fiddly.

Walls beyond looking good are useless since there are spots at each settlement that enemies spawn at, some are even inside a settlement's boundaries (Abernathy farm for example has one right in the middle of it's lower area)
😮

pukunui

Legend
OK I got myself a Vaut-Tec Population Management System for Sanctuary. It says I have 5 farmers, 1 scavenger, 2 guards, and 1 unemployed person, but there are no jobs available for that person. Would that unemployed person be Mama Murphy, since she just sits in her chair all the time?

MarkB

Legend
OK I got myself a Vaut-Tec Population Management System for Sanctuary. It says I have 5 farmers, 1 scavenger, 2 guards, and 1 unemployed person, but there are no jobs available for that person. Would that unemployed person be Mama Murphy, since she just sits in her chair all the time?
I'm pretty sure I've assigned Mama Murphy to farming before. Ring the town bell, go into Build mode, and look at each settler. You'll be able to see which job they're assigned to, if any.

Remove ads