• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Adapting the Warlock Chassis for other Classes

mamba

Legend
I haven't been following playtest material for 2024 in general, since I already know odds are against it will appeal to me, but is there anything in particular about the 2024 playtest chassis versus the others?
the one I liked was a full rest half-caster, but now it is back to slightly changed short-rest warlock

I have always wondered whether the warlock would work for the monk: you spam flurry of blows like EB, you get two big anime moves (like the spells) per short rest-maybe from the subclasses, and you get to customize things with something like invocations, so you can be wild like Jackie Chan, a ninja, or something else, and like the warlock, these are more for fun or out of combat (or in the monk's case to avoid combat) than for combat power. Or if you wanted to move more power into the invocations, you could have it so that the monk can deliver a touch spell with an unarmed strike, and the monk can pick up touch spells via invocations.

Chaltab

Adventurer
I have both written and seen someone else make a version of a Swordmage/Magus that uses it. I think it's a good idea that could be applied to more archetypes to vary class design a bit. It's strange to have multiple martial/caster/half-caster progression classes but only one Warlock-esque.

For example:
Warlord: Instead of patrons, your subclasses are Schools of Battle. Invocations are strategic specialties. Your pact spells are orders you can give in combat or inspiring speeches that give your allies bonuses.

Shaman: Your sub-classes are primal spirits you've bonded with. Invocations are special enhancements to your primal spirit. You get similar spells to Druids but more on the buffing and healing instead of control and damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads